Sunday, July 20, 2008

Going the Distance

Yesterday was my longest road ride to date. I rode 54 miles! CGC did an Ice Cream Social Ride to William Browns Farm, which is about a mile outside the Montezuma city limits. We started at the Perry Welcome Center, which is across the street from the Fairgrounds. Our first stop was at a cute little shop, deli, and Welcome center in Marshallville called Rosati's Cafe. We met the owner who was so wonderful to us, and talks of breakfast rides have already begun.

Shane was gracious enough to drive his truck and provide support for us. He was also my personal coach. I felt just like a member of the peleton, getting direction, encouragement, and proper motivation from the team car. (The motivation was a beer that he literally dangled at me with 2 miles to go saying "Look what I've got!" from the truck.) He thought that I was pissed off at him for that, but I was grateful. He saw things I needed to correct that I wouldn't have known to do otherwise. I don't think I would have done as well as I did without my coach.

We stopped for ice cream, and man what ice cream! There is no doubt that it's homemade! Since they grow peaches, I opted for the fresh peach ice cream. That was certainly worth the trip! There were several people who bought peaches and veggies, since Shane was there driving.

The trip back was not as bad as I expected. I was expecting a lot of pain and agony, but I really didn't start to really hurt until 38 miles in. Thankfully for me, right about then the group stopped to wait for everyone to catch up. Unfortunately, they stopped on a turn, so with the advice of Shane, we continued on to the next shady spot. When Dave took off, there was a loud noise form his rear tire. He broke a spoke. We continued until the next place to safely pull off so he could take a look at it. I stopped too, because not only is he my hubby and I wanted to know what was going on with his bike, it gave me an opportunity to stretch my legs. Coach made sure I was okay, told me to keep drinking water, (I wasn't drinking enough earlier), and told me that I was doing a great job. Dave decided that he would ride a few miles on the wheel to see how it did, and if it didn't blow up he would continue on riding. He ended up making it all the way back on the bike.

It was so wonderful to see everyone just riding along talking and enjoying themselves. Several people would come back to the back of the pack where I was and check on me, ask me how I was doing. They would talk to me for a while, and then ride on up the the front.

I made it back in one piece, and I was even able to walk afterwards!

I rode 54 miles, and I had a great time doing it. I can truthfully say that I had a good time on the road bike!

Thanks to everyone who went for a great ride!!!!!

3 comments:

Dave said...

Go get 'em champ!!!!

Shakespere said...

Wow. Interesting post. I enjoyed your blog.

dirtgirl76 said...

Thank you, Shakespere. I am glad you enjoyed my blog. It was a very cool experience.